Purpose of the Guidelines
The Guidelines for the Identification and Education of Children and Youth with Autism“ (Guidelines). The Guidelines were developed for families and service providers for the following purposes:
- To improve educational outcomes for children and youth with autistic spectrum disorders.
- To define a consistent statewide base of information that provides clarity and guidance to families, Connecticut school districts, private approved programs, and practitioners.
- To provide research-based information concerning educational intervention strategies for children and youth with autistic spectrum disorders.
- To provide smooth transitions for children and youth with autistic spectrum disorders from the Connecticut Birth to Three System through high school (ages 3 through 21).
- To provide families and practitioners with the information, tools and resources necessary to make informed and cooperative decisions for the education of children and youth with autistic spectrum disorders in public schools and community settings.
- Chapter 1 Autism and Autistic Spectrum Disorders: Definitions and Distinctions
- Chapter 2 Assessment and Eligibility
- Chapter 3 Characteristics of Effective Programs
- Chapter 4 Interventions
- Chapter 5 Transitions and Transition Planning