Call for Nominations
Nominate someone now for the 2023 awards! SERC is seeking nominations of individuals, organizations, schools, or districts.
SERC created this award to honor and highlight the demonstration of extraordinary acts of commitment and courage to ensure all Connecticut students, especially students of color and culturally and linguistically diverse students, are valued and respected in their school experience.
Award recipients will be selected based on their steadfast and unwavering action in:
- Advocating for children and families of color;
- Galvanizing individuals and coalitions toward equitable action;
- Taking risks in conversation and action regarding issues of equity for racially, linguistically and culturally diverse groups;
- Engaging the diverse needs of members of an education community and reconciling them toward a shared vision; and
- Furthering the exchange of information that affects thinking and effects conviction on matters of equity.
Nominations of students are encouraged.
Please submit completed nomination packages to SERC by December 15, 2022 .
Nominators and awardees will be notified no later than March 1, 2023.
A complete nomination package must include the following:
- Nomination Entry Form
- Letter of Nomination (1 page limit) *Please include in the letter the nominator’s relationship to nominee, contributions and areas of involvement of the nominee, and evidence of the impact of the nominee’s work toward racially equitable outcomes.
- Biography of Nominee (1 page limit)
- One Letter of Support (1 page limit) *Letter of support can be from schools, community organizations, or individuals who know of the nominee’s active involvement in working for racial equity; it should include specific examples and evidence of the impact and contribution made by the nominee to a local school and/or community organization because of their involvement and engagement.
Please gather these items before accessing the Electronic Nomination Form. You'll be asked to upload supporting documents in Word or PDF format on the form.
Access the 2023 Electronic Nomination Form Here!
Who is George A. Coleman
George A. Coleman has infused his values of equity and opportunity within all of his roles in Connecticut education. As an administrator at the CT State Department of Education (CSDE), including two appointments as Acting Commissioner, Mr. Coleman continuously advanced the truth that all children can learn. He has refused to accept educational disparities and has made the most of his positions to advocate for the highest opportunities for all students. Mr. Coleman has also been a critical partner with SERC in advancing an educational system that confronts the impact of racism among children of color and their families. In addition to Acting Commissioner, Mr. Coleman’s other roles during his 24-year career at CSDE were Deputy Commissioner, Associate Commissioner, Chief of the Bureau of Curriculum and Teaching, and Chief of the Bureau of Early Childhood Education. Mr. Coleman retired from CSDE in October 2011 and from the Boards of SERC and the SERC Foundation in December 2020. He is currently a private contractor for Cooperative Educational Services in Trumbull.