SERC created this award to honor and highlight the demonstration of extraordinary acts of commitment and courage to ensure all Connecticut students, especially students of color and culturally and linguistically diverse students, are valued and respected in their school experience.
Award recipients will be selected based on their steadfast and unwavering action in:
- Advocating for children and families of color;
- Galvanizing individuals and coalitions toward equitable action;
- Taking risks in conversation and action regarding issues of equity for racially, linguistically and culturally diverse groups;
- Engaging the diverse needs of members of an education community and reconciling them toward a shared vision; and
- Furthering the exchange of information that affects thinking and effects conviction on matters of equity.
Nominations of students are encouraged.
Nominators and awardees will be notified no later than March 1, 2022. Please submit completed nomination packages to SERC by Tuesday, February 15, 2022
A complete nomination package must include the following:
- Nomination Entry Form
- Letter of Nomination (1 page limit) *Please include in the letter the nominator’s relationship to nominee, contributions and areas of involvement of the nominee, and evidence of the impact of the nominee’s work toward racially equitable outcomes.
- Biography of Nominee (1 page limit)
- One Letter of Support (1 page limit) *Letter of support can be from schools, community organizations, or individuals who know of the nominee’s active involvement in working for racial equity; it should include specific examples and evidence of the impact and contribution made by the nominee to a local school and/or community organization because of their involvement and engagement.
Please gather these items before accessing the Electronic Nomination Form.